Skip to main content

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life.

So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as a tax expense yet? This will be things that I have watched and read this year, in no particular order, and not an exhaustive list because I've seen too many things and some are not worth mentioning.


Let's start with TV, because it is humanity's greatest invention, the giver of great joy and distraction, provider of hours of entertainment, my lifelong love. Sorry, too much? I guess I've been inside too long.

*Disclaimer - technically I wrote the books post first, which was part 2, because this one took quite awhile to write. Confusing? Yes. Do I care? No.



TV COMEDY 

Schitt's Creek
I am still in the middle of the series (I just finished season 3), so no spoilers please!
It's basically the story of an incredibly wealthy family who lose all their money and have to move to a small town and try to rebuild their lives. Written by Dan Levy and his dad Eugene Levy (the dad from American Pie. Yes, that is what I think of still when I see him).
It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but I really love it now. It's funny, and I love the actors, and it is a comforting, easy watch.

Where to watch? Netflix (the last season, season 6, is out May 14, so it's a good time to catch up!)

Arrested Development
I had seen bits and pieces over the years, because my brother used to watch it, but I thought it was time I actually sat down and watched it properly. I am now almost finished season 2.
There is a great cast; Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett, and Alia Shawkat. They're all amazing and really make the show engaging. It's funny, and silly, and the episode plot lines are clever. The concept of the show is that the family patriarch, George Bluth, has been sent to prison, leaving Michael (Jason Bateman) in charge of the family business and his crazy family. I find the stories focusing on the business dealings a bit boring, but the other events and characters are so funny that it balances it out.

Where to watch? Netflix.

Everything's Gonna Be Okay
Josh Thomas' new show, there is just one season of ten episodes so far. Nicholas (Josh Thomas) takes over the care of his two American half-sisters when their dad dies. If you like Please Like Me then this will probably appeal to you as well, as it has Josh Thomas' awkward charm sprinkled throughout the dialogue and situations. There is a lot of exploration on living with autism, and what that means for the person with autism as well as the people close to them. Then of course there is focus on relationships, both romantic and familial, which I think Josh writes about very well in his work.

Where to watch? Stan

Golden Girls
If you haven't watched Golden Girls recently, or ever, you may be thinking 'A show about some old ladies? Pfft'. Guys. Golden Girls absolutely holds up, and is funny AF. Even if you are skeptical, please give it a go! It is classic comedy, and is a great, light watch, perfect for these trying times. It is also very socially aware, focusing on issues such as immigration and sexual harassment.  Apart from the glorious 80s fashion, it is timeless.

Where to watch? Stan



The Marvellous Mrs Maisel
Written by Daniel Palladino and Amy Sherman-Palladino, the amazing team that brought us Gilmore Girls, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel is full of fast dialogue, fabulous 50s fashion, and is set in the fascinating world of stand-up comedy. I wrote all about it here: https://wheretonextblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/review-marvelous-mrs-maisel.html and I can't wait until season four gets released, whenever that may be. I really love the characters, and the storylines, and it's just so beautifully shot.

Where to watch?  Amazon Prime




Shrill
I absolutely love Aidy Bryant, she is so funny and fabulous, and she plays the main character of Annie so brilliantly. Based on the book Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West, Shrill is a great insight into life as a young woman who is trying to forge a career for herself in journalism, deal with her ageing parents, and learn to love herself in all her flawed glory.
You will find yourself cheering for Annie as the series progresses, as she learns to stand up for herself and learns from her mistakes. The first two series are out now and it has just been renewed for a third (yay!).

Where to watch? SBS On Demand


Living With Yourself
Paul Rudd stars in this comedy about a depressed man who is trudging through his day-to-day life with his monotonous job and his wife who is struggling to get pregnant.  After learning about a mysterious spa from a recently transformed colleague, he finds himself in a battle with his clone to take control of his own life.
This series is funny, and surprising, and the ending leaves it open for a second season, but I don't know if it will be able to follow the first season with an equally strong storyline.

Where to watch? Netflix


Zoey's Extraodinary Playlist
If you love some musical flair in your television shows, think Glee, and Crazy Ex-girlfriend, then you'll probably love this one. Zoey (Jane Levy, no relation of Dan/Eugene Levy) begins to experience the people around her performing song and dance numbers, something nobody else can see. With the help of her neighbour Mo, she discovers that with this new power comes a sense of responsibility,  and she finds herself getting involved in the lives of her co-workers and friends in an attempt to solve their problems.
Usually a light watch, there are some fun musical numbers, but there are also some more emotional moments too, as Zoey deals with her father's declining health and her own complicated love life.
It's fun, and musical, and has the great talents of Skylar Astin and Lauren Graham, but it can also be quite cheesy at times.

Where to watch? Stan


The Simpsons

Ah, yes, the old tried and true comfort watch. Perfect for playing in the background while cooking, napping, or writing this very blog post. I am also trying to endear my husband to it, so he will stop complaining when I put it on, and so that he will finally understand all the quotes that I am constantly spouting. We can only hope. With all the episodes now available, you just have to decide whether to start from the beginning and work your way through, or just watch all your favourites.

Where to watch? Disney Plus


So, there you have it, all the comedy shows I have been watching lately. Check back soon for posts on drama tv shows, comedy movies, and stand-up specials.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn