Skip to main content

Review: Bojack Horseman

So apparently I'm a bit late to the party, but I have just finished watching the first two seasons of Bojack Horseman, and I'm hooked. It's not what I expected, after getting the recommendation from a Reddit post, asking, 'What's the best show that people aren't watching?'. I hadn't heard of it, so I thought it would be a kind of weird show by some creative up-and-comers, but it's really full of big names; Bojack is voiced by Will Arnett, his friend Todd by Aaron Paul, and appearances by Amy Schumer, Daniel Radcliffe, Naomi Watts, and even Paul McCartney, just to name a few.
It's an animated show, so I was assuming it would be similar to Family Guy; funny with a kind of sick sense of humour. But it's so much more than that.


Based around the main character, Bojack Horseman, who is an actor famous for a cheesy 90's sitcom, the show mainly focuses on Bojack trying to get through life and deal with his myriad problems. Having grown-up with parents who were essentially indifferent and unloving, he is now a broken person who does not deal well with other people. We see him experience some dysfunctional relationships and friendships, as he tries to find the unconditional love that he was denied in his childhood.

The interesting thing to me is that, especially with its use of continuity, this could easily be a non-animated show, dealing with dark themes and human relationships, except for the fact that half the characters are humanised animals. It adds a surreal kind of element to the show, and makes some of the subtle humour possible. Bojack's agent/ex-girlfriend, Princess Caroline, is a cat, so of course she has a scratching post in her office. His 90's sitcom rival-come-friend, is a dog whose name is Mr Peanut Butter. These bizarre elements, such as Princess Caroline's boyfriend who is not a man, but actually just three boys standing on top of each other under a trenchcoat, make the show a unique blend of crazy ideas and serious issues.

There are great, complicated characters, subtle humour, and really clever ideas throughout the show, and I highly recommend. Season three is rumoured to premiere this year, and as far as I know it's only (legally) available on Netflix.

A special mention for the theme song that plays during the end credits, which is simple yet funny, and strangely catchy.

Status: Season 3 set to premiere on July 22nd.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as