Skip to main content

Review: Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn



I have read many biographies, in fact I would say that about half of my book collection consists of assorted biographies, memoirs and autobiographies. I'm not particularly fussy about them either, actor, writer, singer, politician, sportsman, serial killer, it's all good.

Manson really stood out to me though, and not just for its subject matter. I think Guinn did an amazing job of researching Manson's life and presenting all the events in a diplomatic, in-depth way, despite having to put all the pieces together from many different people's accounts.

Guinn sets the scene for us, describing the hippy culture and political issues of the era, which gives us insight into what the world was like at the time for these atrocities to occur. He explains the mood of society at the time, and how it got to that point, somehow drawing our interest in rather than making us feel we're back in high school history class.

I personally didn't actually know the details of what Manson did, only that he was a notorious serial killer, which is one of the reasons I wanted to read this book. So if you're interested in true crime, I would definitely recommend this book, but it's got so much more than that. It has tales of Manson's relationships with celebrities, a bit of a history lesson, details of his psychological control over his followers, as well as a selection of photos of Manson with his family and followers.

Definitely an interesting read, even if you are already familiar with the story of Charles Manson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...