Skip to main content

Review: UHF



I love 80s movies. Pretty in Pink, St Elmo's Fire, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Cocktail, there are so many good (and so bad they're good) movies from the 80s. Of course, having been born in the late 80s myself, I have discovered them later, and so have missed out on some cult classics. While anything with Molly Ringwald or an amazing dance sequence lasted the test of time, these other films that have slipped through the cracks and been lost in that colourful decade are bewildering at best, unwatchable at worst.

UHF falls into the former category.

UHF has the bizarre factor, where you ask yourself 'what the hell is happening?' at certain points throughout. Luckily, it's made watchable by balancing this out with lots of funny moments and a surprisingly good plot. It also has a great cast, with appearances from a young Fran Drescher and Michael Richards.



The story revolves around George Newman (Weird Al) who finds himself unemployed after he is fired from yet another job. He gets a lucky break when his uncle wins a low-budget TV station in a poker game and hands the management over to George. With seemingly no hope for the future of the station, George and his friend Bob have a casual approach to running the station until a fluke finds them creating one of the most popular programs. They soon become number one in the ratings and gain a powerful enemy. 




With just the right amount of ridiculousness and parody scenes, UHF is great for when you're in the mood for some light comedy. If you are a Weird Al fan and haven't already seen this, I would recommend it, especially as it includes some classic parody hits from him. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...