Skip to main content

Review: Suicide Squad


 

It’s fair to say that assembling a gang of super villains to use as a weapon in case of an emergency is a terrible idea, but that is the idea that introduces us to the Suicide Squad. Made up of Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Deadshot (Will Smith), Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney), El Diablo (Jay Hernandez) and Killer Croc ( Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), the Suicide Squad is a frightening mix of criminals, psychopaths and people with supernatural powers. Blurring the line between good and evil, we find ourselves sympathizing with the villains and realizing that not everything is black and white, even in Gotham.  For those of us who are unfamiliar with the comics, we get a brief glance into the backstories of Harley Quinn, El Diablo and Deadshot while the other characters act as filler for the rest of the team.


Joining the main team we have Colonel Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman), the leader of the squad; Amanda Waller (Viola Davis), the brains behind the whole operation; Dr. June Moone (Cara Delevingne), who has been possessed by The Enchantress; and Katana (Karen Fukuhana). There are also appearances by Batman (Ben Affleck) and The Joker (Jared Leto).




We have seen, in recent years, many superheroes team up to fight their collective enemies; including numerous Avengers and X-Men movies. However, generally, these movies often combine characters we are familiar with from their own movies, and I think that’s what Suicide Squad needed. It felt like there were too many unknown characters crammed into one story, and while the backstory subplots were interesting, it left the main storyline lacking. This of course is coming from the perspective of someone who isn’t familiar with the comics and is meeting most of these characters for the first time.


There are some great characters though; Harley Quinn and Deadshot made the movie watchable, in no small part due to the talents of Will Smith and Margot Robbie, who was brilliant as always. The Joker, who is always an exciting character to watch, was well-played by Jared Leto, although unfortunately he’s no Heath Ledger. The ending paved way for a new story revolving around The Joker and Harley Quinn, which should be great judging by the performances in Suicide Squad, and the strength of the characters.




As we have come to expect from the recent bombardment of superhero films, regular villains just don’t cut it anymore. They must be bigger, better, harder to beat. Infused with technology or other-worldly powers, they are unlike The Joker or Magneto but have become something that barely, if at all, resembles a human, as we saw in Avengers: Age of Ultron. It seems that audiences are no longer content to watch a battle of intelligence and pure strength, but want our heroes to beat larger-than-life machines and unnatural forces. Suicide Squad follows this trend with The Enchantress, who has overtaken the body of Dr. June Moone and enlisted her brother to join her in her fight against humanity.


There is a lot of action in this movie, so if you love fight scenes and destruction set to an awesome soundtrack then you will enjoy this. However if you love the humour often found in our favourite superhero movies and the deep connection with the characters, then you may find it lacking.



Tip: Don’t forget to stay until the credits are over for an extra scene.


*Please note that this review has also been published on http://mortals.com.au/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...