Skip to main content

Review: Rosie Waterland: My Life on the Couch (with vodka)



If you are unfamiliar with Rosie Waterland, you need to know that she first became popular by writing the very funny recaps of The Bachelor for Mamamia. Writing about a terrible reality show and turning it into something that hundreds of thousands of people read each week religiously is a great skill, and it just goes to show what a unique voice that Rosie has.

Her humour has served her well in her work, as well as in her life. Having been through a tough childhood and the resulting issues that have followed into her adult life, Rosie has taken these experiences and made them into something positive in the form of her book, and now her live show.

When speaking about her time as a child with a drug-addicted father and prostitute mother, she does so with a sense of humour, but without taking away from the seriousness of the situation. By speaking candidly about her life, she allows people to relate to her. People who have experienced similar pain in their lives will see something of themselves in her anecdotes, but it's the small things as well. It's the not knowing how to post a letter, the aftermath of getting ridiculously drunk, and the general struggle we all feel as we try to make it through adulthood.

I find it so brave when people can openly discuss their thoughts and feelings, and Rosie does it in a way that seems so effortless, it is easy to admire her. This show was actually rescheduled due to Rosie taking time to grieve and process the recent untimely passing of her best friend. Despite this recent tragedy, Rosie managed to power through and did an amazing job.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend reading her book, 'The Anti-Cool Girl'. It is full of heart-breaking and hilarious stories, some of which you will hear at her show.



If you get the chance, you should definitely check out her live show. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll try to 'accidentally' run into Rosie afterwards in the hopes that you'll immediately click and she'll become your new best friend-I mean, what?


Rosie Waterland currently has a second book in the works, as well as some exciting things coming up for TV. I can't wait to see what she does next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...