Skip to main content

Review: 13 Reasons Why


The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes.

The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person.

When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow.

13 Reasons Why is so captivating because the mystery is two-fold. Firstly, we know that there is something major that happened, the other people on the tape are secretive, they have already heard the tapes so they know what's coming, but won't discuss it with Clay. We are urging him to get through the tapes, to discover what happened, but he takes his time dwelling on each one, struggling with the weight of what he's hearing.

Secondly, there is the question at the end of each episode: who is on the next tape? And what happened between them and Hannah to warrant them getting their own tape?

The show deals with suicide, and bullying, of course, and without giving anything away there are some scenes in the later episodes that are quite hard to watch. I have seen people discussing this, wondering if it's appropriate, if teenagers should be exposed to this, if it needs to come with a warning. Well, yes, it should come with a warning, and there is one at the start, due to the themes in the episodes. I don't think that it's inappropriate, however. People seem to want to shield everyone from difficult topics, as if if they don't see them then it won't exist. But teenagers know things, they're not stupid, and the best thing to do with touchy subjects such as suicide, sex, drugs, whatever it may be, is to talk about it.



I understand the concerns that Headspace have spoken about, they raised the point that it seems that after her death, there was a kind of resolution for Hannah, the people that hurt her were remorseful and there seemed to be some kind of justice for her in the end. In reality though, it wouldn't be like that though, you wouldn't get closure, and it's not an answer.

It's hard to say what effect the series could have on someone who was struggling with mental health, or bullying, as everyone reacts differently. I do think that this series is important though, and it shouldn't be banned in any way, it should be seen, and spoken about. If it acts as a catalyst for people to begin a discussion on these topics then it can only be a good thing,

As for the series itself, I found that it was really well done. I thought the story-lines were great, and the characters were fantastic. The cast were incredible, there is no one I would fault in any way, I thought they were all well-cast and did an amazing job. Fun Fact: If you are a Gilmore Girls fan, watch out for one of your Stars Hollow faves as one of the teachers, it may surprise you!

My only regret is that I didn't read the book first. I am usually adamant about reading the book before I see the TV/movie adaptation, but in this case I felt I had to jump on the bandwagon immediately because it seemed like I was missing out. I still want to read the book, I know there are some differences, so it will be interesting to see what it's like.

I definitely recommend 13 Reasons Why, but just prepare yourself for the slightly empty feeling you'll get after you watch it. This is partly due to the unanswered questions that are left. This leaves way for them to make a second season, however I'm not sure if that would be a good thing, only because it would become a completely different show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as