Skip to main content

The best (strangest) of Eurovision 2017


Ah, Eurovision. Our annual dose of all the music, glamour, and oddities that Europe has to offer. And Australia, because, much to the confusion of Europe, we managed to get ourselves invited.

This year there were some really great songs and performers, but let's be honest, the best part of Eurovision is seeing which country has the most bizarre performance.

So, here they are, in no particular order. Let's start with my favourite, Moldova. I think what makes this hilarious is actually the dancing, but the song is actually catchy and it's just really fun!




Now on to my second favourite, Romania. There's rapping, there's yodelling. Sounds crazy, but it must be just crazy enough to work because it's actually pretty good.


Now we need to talk about Italy. There's wild gesticulating (well, yeah...Italy), there's the Italian Wiggles singing backup, and then there's a gorilla. I don't know what's going on here. Who choreographed this performance? I feel like it might have been a few different people with conflicting ideas that were kind enough to compromise with each other. 



I'm not sure what was involved at Belarus' planning meeting but I would have to guess that one of the things was weed. Hippies on a boat with two wind machines. I think they ticked a lot of the boxes for Eurovision Bingo. 


Azerbaijan's performance looked like an art student's end of year exhibition. It's like Bojack Horseman got sucked into the mind of an emo sixteen year old. It's everything you expect from Eurovision. The song is actually pretty good too.




Lastly, Croatia. It begins with a speaking introduction so you know it's going to be good. This guy is essentially doing a duet with himself while images of him are projected behind him. It's like every narcissist's dream come true. 





I also have to include this moment:


Some Ukranian guy got up on stage and flashed everyone, while wearing an Australian flag. Dude, what are you doing? Are you trying to get us kicked out of Eurovision? Come on. 

So that's Eurovision for another year. Some great moments, but honestly, there could've been more outlandish performances. So next year, please Europe, BRING THE WEIRD!

Also, if you hadn't already heard, and if you're interested, Portugal won. 


His performance was nice, very boring and ballady, but those songs always seem to win, don't they?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as