Skip to main content

Review: The Good Place season one


What happens after we die? If we're good do we go to heaven, to be reunited with our grandparents and childhood pets? And if we're bad, head down to hell to be tortured in a fiery landscape for all eternity? Or are heaven and hell not generic places, but our own personal versions of those ideas? Hell being a place where Skrillex and Jamiroquai are played loudly on repeat forever, while in heaven chocolate makes you thin, and you are surrounded by golden retriever puppies, or whatever your particular dreams may be. Maybe we just get reincarnated, destined to live forever in a variety of forms, hopefully becoming better each time. Or then again, maybe it's just a big void, and when we die we get buried, then just decompose in the ground.

The Good Place assumes that there are two options, the Good Place, and the Bad Place. After a selfish life with no regard for the feelings of others, Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) was headed for the Bad Place when, due to an error, was sent to the Good Place. Trying to stay undiscovered by Michael (Ted Danson), the architect of the neighbourhood, Eleanor enlists her soulmate Chidi to help her. Befriending their seemingly perfect neighbours Tahani and Jianyu, Eleanor works hard to become a better person, so that she can stay in the Good Place.



I think that shows that have an element of fantasy in them can be really fun, the rules of our world don't apply so anything can happen. The Good Place does have that sense of magic to it of course, although I think they could've pushed it a little further, I want to see more of the perks of the Good Place!

I was getting through season one, and was really disappointed that on the day before I watched the season finale, I listened to Ted Danson being interviewed on Marc Maron's WTF podcast, and heard a massive spoiler!! Kind of my fault for being so far behind, but still. However I was still really excited to watch the episode, I think the show is set up so well, that the big reveal opens the story up rather than just being a big empty climax.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what's in store for season two, and the best part is I don't even have to wait. Seasons one and two are both on Netflix now.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...