Skip to main content

Review: Nick Cody Loose Unit

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival has kicked off for another year, and I was lucky enough to be able to get tickets to so many amazing comedians that I wanted to see. So I've decided to review all the shows I see, and to include some general comedy festival tips as well (scroll to the end for those!). Now, for the loose unit himself, Nick Cody!

Nick Cody, possibly laughing at his own joke


I saw Nick Cody on Wednesday night. At 9.45pm. That's bedtime. But it was totally worth it. To be fair, I did have Thursday off, but even if I had to work on Thursday, it still would have been worth it. It was that good.

My friend and I headed in after the queue of people had already entered, so we thought we would be stuck up the back, but no. No one wanted to sit right in the very front row, so we got convinced to sit there. My friend was terrified, trying to think of an escape plan in case Nick singled her out in his act. Luckily, he did not, instead focusing on the 14 year old boy in the audience. Haha, sucker. No, but seriously, he wasn't mean, and I don't think he embarrassed the kid. Too much.

If you haven't seen Nick Cody before, you are missing out. Also, where have you been? Nick has been smashing it both here and overseas, having appeared on Conan in the US, at the Montreal Just for Laughs festival, on countless comedy galas and specials, his own stand-up shows, and even doing a bit of acting on shows such as Please Like Me.

Nick is a very down to earth comedian. Not afraid of a bit of self-deprecation, he makes fun of the fact that he's from the Western suburbs, can't cook, and still doesn't have his licence. He is relatable in his failures (who the fuck can cook a fish?), and explores what life is like as you enter your thirties.



If you are familiar with Nick's early work, you may be used to tales of drunken nights and STDs. As Nick settles in to a life of being married and thinking of starting a family, his stories may change, but don't worry, they are still full of cum jokes and drinking anecdotes.

Nick has a youthful energy, which is a fancy way of saying that he is a teenager in an adult's body. Which I mean in the best possible way. There is a childish joy in his humour, and his shows are always so much fun. My friend and I were still laughing long after the show finished (the story he closed with destroyed us, and every time we thought about it we started cracking up again).

What was very cool is Nick hung around after the show, so you could have a chat, and buy a stubby holder or bib (yes, a baby's bib), from his little merch table. We chose not to, because as usual I couldn't think of anything good to say, and didn't want to make a dick out of myself, but maybe next time.

If you are able to get out to see Nick's show, you definitely should. If you can't, even just jump on YouTube and check out some of his older stuff, it's bloody great. I also highly recommend finding any podcasts that Nick has been a guest on (especially Don't You Know Who I Am), because while of course his shows are funny, he is also hilarious in general conversation.



Where can you find Nick?

At the Comedy Festival until April 22, tickets here:    https://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2018/shows/loose-unit

Followed by shows in Perth, Auckland and Sydney. Tickets here: http://www.nickcody.com.au/gigs

On various podcasts, either his own or as a guest on others: http://www.nickcody.com.au/podcast
(Also see Don't You Know Who I Am, and The Comedian's Comedian, for other guest appearances).


Tips for visiting the Comedy Festival:

TICKETS
Of course, all the big acts sell out pretty quickly, but if you can't get tickets to who you wanted, or if you're just not sure who to see, why not try someone new? If you head to Town Hall, you will see so many people handing out flyers for shows, this is also great for last minute tickets, if you have seen an early show and want to extend your comedy fix for the night. If you're not sure who to see, it can also be great to see a show with more than one comedian, so you get a bit of variety.
There can be massive queues if you're buying them on the night though, so if you can it's best to book in advance, which you can do here: https://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2018

SEATING
If you are seeing a show with no reserved seats, make sure to get there early to ensure you get a good seat, otherwise you will inevitably get a giant sitting in front of you.

PARKING
If you're driving into the city, parking can cause massive anxiety, where to park, does it cost money, how far is it from the venue, etc. I've found the best thing to do is to pre-book your parking online, which you can do here: https://www.wilsonparking.com.au/book-a-bay. You just find the closest parking lot to your venue, book it, and when you show up you just tap your card to enter and exit. It's also sometimes a bit cheaper, but it is cheap anyway, usually about $6 for the night. You also get Velocity points, which is an extra bonus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E