Skip to main content

Review: Mark Gambino - The Return of Grazie Fibonacci

Well, the 2019 Melbourne International Comedy Festival has come to a close. I saw so many amazing shows, some that I just didn't get time to review unfortunately, but I wanted to end with my review of the last show I saw, Mark Gambino's The Return of Grazie Fibonacci.


This show takes you on an adventure, full of wonderful and eccentric characters, some of whom wouldn't be out of place in a David Sedaris short story. The scenes are interspersed with a witty recording of a radio show, removing any possible awkwardness from those in-between scene costume change moments, while continuing the laughs from the audience.

From a commercial flight, to a Ted talk, to a game show, to the wonder that is Jurassic Park, you will be taken places you didn't expect to go. Always with a fascinating, hilarious character to guide you through.

Don't be alarmed, but there is some audience participation. Nothing embarrassing though, it's just the audience assisting with the show, rather than drawing attention to the audience themselves.

Mark is a brilliant actor, fully becoming each character with such ease and confidence. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a TV sketch show, in a movie, or any other place where ridiculously talented people become successful. I'm really excited to see whatever he does next.

If you love comedy sketch shows this will be right up your alley. Keep an eye out for Mark's future work, because he is such a delight to watch, you won't be disappointed.

It is too late to get tickets (sorry!), but you can read a bit more about the show here: https://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2019/shows/the-return-of-grazie-fibonacci

You can also possibly catch Mark at some The Big Hoo-Haa! shows, more information here: http://www.hoohaamelbourne.com.au/ and you can see my review of this year's The Big Hoo-Haa! show here: https://wheretonextblog.blogspot.com/2019/04/review-big-hoo-haa.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as