Skip to main content

Review: Too Much Is Not Enough by Andrew Rannells


 


I first became aware of Andrew Rannells from his role of Elijah on Girls. I also noticed him in one of the episodes in the last season of How I Met Your Mother. Then I heard that he played Elder Price in the Broadway production of The Book of Mormon, and I thought it just seems like the perfect role for him, I would have loved to see him in it. As I'm writing this, I realise that I haven't actually been exposed to that much of his work, and it's so funny how quickly we form an opinion of actors. Whether that's falling in love with them, or disliking them for no discernible reason, these feelings become so strong from what can often be very limited exposure to them. But I digress.

I really like Andrew Rannells and I was really excited to read his book. Apart from the fact that it was an entertainment memoir by someone I admire, I knew it was also a tale about being young and finding yourself in New York, and as these have turned out to be two of my favourite categories of book, I knew this would be right up my alley. Before I read the book, I also came across a piece he wrote for The New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/01/style/modern-love-andrew-rannells-tallest-man.html), which actually happens to be a story from the book, so if you're unsure if this book is for you, then give that a read and it will give you a bit of an idea of what you're in for.

Andrew and Lena Dunham in Girls


So, I guess in the simplest of terms, this book can be summed up as 'Small town boy dreams of stardom and heads to the big city to make his dreams come true'. But I don't think that would at all do this story justice. I've read a lot of memoirs. Some are funny, glossing over the struggles. Some are dark and heartbreaking. Some are shallow, and make you feel empty because nothing has come to you so easily as the author's success. This is different.

Andrew's book was good, really good. It's well-written, it goes into depth without feeling like it has crammed too much unnecessary detail in, and it actually made me feel good reading it. To be honest I put off reading it for awhile because I thought it would make me feel a bit sad. Just due to the FOMO that often occurs when you read about a time and place that you never got to experience. (I have this great longing to have lived in New York and had great adventures while fighting my way to success. No matter how ridiculous, you can see why I might have been a bit bummed out by my jealousy when reading such a story). I actually put this book down and felt great. It doesn't show off, it's not like 'Oh I suddenly became famous because I was so talented and booked the first job I went for, haha what a ride'. (Don't you hate that? The worst.) Instead, it speaks of a truly talented person who still had to work hard for what he got, and had many moments of self doubt and worry.

Hello, my name is Elder Price!


At first I was surprised that the book ended when it did. Rather than bring the story into the present, past the success of Girls and The Book of Mormon, Andrew decided to end when he felt he got his big break, with a role in the stage show of Hairspray. Initially I was disappointed, but then I realised that I don't need the rest of the story (though it would be interesting to read), I got the best part already. The important part of the story is the struggle, the hard work, the self doubt, the pushing through all of that to will yourself not to give up. It's also the people that support you along the way, and I loved the way Andrew spoke about his friends and family, like they were truly a part of his story and experience, it wasn't all about him.


Andrew as the evil Darren in How I Met Your Mother


So, I highly recommend Too Much Is Not Enough. It is definitely up there as one of the best entertainment memoirs that I have read. It has the rise to fame story, but it's humble, and not showy. It has family, friends, love, finding yourself and living life in New York City, so if that's what you're into get on it.
If you want to see what Andrew Rannells is up to now, then check out Big Mouth, where he voices Matthew (who is an amazing character, and what a great show! I need to write something about it, it's surprisingly great). He is also in A Simple Favor, which I haven't seen but looks really good. It's on my list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as