Skip to main content

Review: Yesterday



What if you woke up one day and discovered that nobody but you knew who The Beatles were? Their history and their songs just ceased to exist, leaving you to wonder if you were going crazy or if everybody was in on some elaborate joke?

Well, that's what happens to Jack. Except, instead of booking an appointment with a psychiatrist (which I would be doing in his situation), he decides to turn his life as a struggling musician around by releasing all of The Beatles' hits as his own.
As people begin to hear Jack's songs and he catapults to stardom, his feelings of guilt begin to surface.

It's an interesting moral dilemma. While Jack is lying about writing all of the songs himself, no one would ever find out the truth, and even if they did they wouldn't believe him. The true geniuses behind the music technically don't exist, so who is he really hurting? It's hard to imagine what you would do in that situation.


While I really enjoyed this movie; the music of course, and the love story, and the characters, I just couldn't suspend my disbelief.  I just don't believe that if The Beatles' songs were released today that they would have the same impact as they did all those years ago. Music, as well as movies, TV shows and books, are so reflective of the time that they were created. We use these mediums to express our feelings, not just individually but as a society. Our works of art convey anger, frustration, cultural movements and youthful joys. Besides that, technology and trends change so drastically across the decades that the music we loved years ago, that even today we love and think is as amazing as the first day we heard it, would hit very differently if we heard it for the first time today.

It's hard to imagine I Want To Hold Your Hand inciting among today's teenagers the screaming, and frenzied admiration that it initially did.
But maybe a love song is just a love song, and something that can transcend time to touch people whenever they may first hear it. We can never know for sure what kind of effect the work of The Beatles would have if set upon the world today, but it is nice to imagine that it would still move people, the way that Yesterday has depicted it.



The cast is fantastic, I was especially delighted to see Kate McKinnon as Jack's manager, and Ed Sheeran (as himself), who is instrumental in kickstarting Jack's career.
Yesterday is a feel good rom-com, with a screenplay written by Richard Curtis how could it not be, and if you're after a light-hearted movie peppered with your favourite Beatles hits, then you should definitely head to the cinema and check this out.


*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

The following contains some spoilers, so if you want to keep some of the mystery stop reading now.


***SPOILER ALERT***

Just a couple of things that I wanted to add. Why, in this new world where The Beatles don't exist, does Coke and Harry Potter also cease to be? Is that related in any way? Or is it just another effect of this crazy alternate dimension? I understand why Oasis is no more, after all they were heavily influenced by The Beatles. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. I could Google it, but I don't feel that it would return any satisfying results, so thought I would just wonder about it instead.

The other thing I wasn't sure if I enjoyed about the movie, is the scene with John Lennon. It was necessary, because I was wondering why Jack hadn't Googled any of the band members, to see if they had ever existed and what they were up to. Were the guys that made up The Beatles alive? Were they in a band that hadn't become successful? Were they just regular people living their lives? So it answered that question. It also helped Jack to find his way, so it was a plot point that was needed for the story, for sure. But it just felt weird to me. I don't know, because John Lennon is dead, and they just got some guy to play him and imagine what his life would be like now, without all that history? Because I was expecting Paul McCartney? Maybe because it blurred the line of fiction and reality and I just wasn't into it. Either way, I just couldn't properly get into that part. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as