Skip to main content

Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


I chose to read this book because, like many books before it, it has been made into a movie. I don't know about you but I find it incredibly difficult to read a book if I've already seen the movie. I already know what's going to happen, and the characters and places have already been determined as looking a certain way, leaving nothing left to my imagination.

So, Me Before You is set in England and is from the perspective of Lou, a girl in her late twenties who gets herself a job as a carer for Will; a young man in his mid-thirties who is paralysed and wheelchair-bound.

Before his accident, Will was a very active person; travelling, participating in extreme sports and being amazing at his fancy job in London. As expected he is in a bad place mentally, with his independence and life as he knew it stripped away. Enter Lou, a bit of a quirky personality, who has found her life in a rut, living with her family and not really having any major ambitions.

I won't give any spoilers away, but they inevitably fall in love, which is problematic for numerous reasons, including Lou's indifferent boyfriend.

I was expecting this book to be incredibly sad, but it wasn't as tear-jerking as I anticipated. I imagine the movie will make up for it though, with some extra drama and an Ed Sheeran soundtrack, but we'll have to wait and see.

What surprised me is that there's a sequel, of which you can find a preview chapter of at the end of the book, and it seems darker than the original.

I didn't love this book, more liked it as a friend, but it is a good and easy read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...