Skip to main content

Review: Vinyl


Vinyl is one of those shows that you binge watch in a couple of days and then wish you would've taken your time because the next season isn't out yet and it will be forever until you can get your next fix. I haven't actually heard much about it, I can't even remember how I came across it, but I think once more people start discovering it, it will become a much-talked about, must-see series.

With all the drugs and murder it's not surprising when you find out that Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese are the creators (along with Rich Cohen and Terence Winter). The quality you would expect from these big names, as well as the incredible cast, is there as well. There is a lot going on in the show, but somehow it blends seamlessly together to create cohesive storylines and keep the audience's interest.

The show's main focus is on Ritchie Finestra. Founder of record label American Century, we see his relationships with his partners begin to disintegrate as they try to negotiate selling the label while Ritchie goes off the rails. Flashbacks help us to understand how Ritchie got to this point in his life and career, including his relationship with his wife and mistakes he has made in the past. 



My favourite part of the show (apart from the amazing soundtrack) is the characters. There are so many brilliant characters that you're never disappointed at the episode's main storyline, it's exciting to see events from different character's point of view, and it leaves you wanting more. There's Jamie, a motivated sandwich girl who is trying to work her way up to the A & R department, Zak, one of the partners who is affected the most by Ritchie's mistakes, and Clark, who gets demoted due to budget cuts and has to learn to become more of a go-getter. One of the most interesting characters is Ritchie's wife Devon, who is now a mother of two with no particular ambitions of her own, but we see via flashbacks that she was once a talented it-girl with potential to do great things. 


Weaved within the fictional characters and tales of murder, drug overdoes and record deals, are your favourite artists and celebrities from the seventies, such as David Bowie, Andy Warhol, Elvis and Alice Cooper. With an awesome soundtrack to match, of course. 



Tip: Get into it now, so you can say that you were on the bandwagon first, before everyone else jumps on board. 

Status: Eagerly awaiting news of season 2.

Update 07.10.16: I just found out that Vinyl has been cancelled, so no season 2. This is a massive disappointment, I think this was a great show with a lot of potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Long Shot

Long Shot is a rom-com, with the emphasis on the com. As well as being one of the best rom-coms this year, it is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh embarrassingly loudly in public, which is always an indication of a great movie. Charlize Theron is so glamorously beautiful in a way that would make you hate her, if she didn't also seem like a wonderful, fun, down to earth person. Playing Charlotte Field, the U.S. Secretary of State, who is trying to implement a huge environmental deal and secure her place in the next presidential campaign, Charlize possesses the poise and grace of a politician, and also the comedic skills that the role requires.  Meanwhile, Seth Rogen is his usual hilarious self as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who, despite his outspoken nature, finds himself working as Charlotte's speech writer. The casting in this movie is amazing. As well as Charlize and Seth, you have June Diane Raphael (who you may recogn

Review: The Big HOO-HAA!

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is back! One of my favourite times of year. It's just cold enough to bring out the cute scarves and jackets, but not so cold that you refuse to leave the house. The streets are full of happy people, and Melbourne seems a little bit more shiny, reminding us why we love it here. Unfortunately The Big HOO-HAA! is only on for a limited run this Comedy Festival, with just three shows, each featuring a different genre (horror, musical, sexy). But don't despair! If you can't make it to next Monday's show (the sexy one!), we are lucky enough here in Melbourne to be able to see them perform every Friday night (from April 26 onwards) at The Butterfly Club. However, make sure you get tickets in advance, because they do sell out! I went along to the musical-themed night, which I was very excited about because I love a musical. It was also very fitting for my week, which has already seen me cry at the series finale of Crazy E

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as