Skip to main content

Review: Vinyl


Vinyl is one of those shows that you binge watch in a couple of days and then wish you would've taken your time because the next season isn't out yet and it will be forever until you can get your next fix. I haven't actually heard much about it, I can't even remember how I came across it, but I think once more people start discovering it, it will become a much-talked about, must-see series.

With all the drugs and murder it's not surprising when you find out that Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese are the creators (along with Rich Cohen and Terence Winter). The quality you would expect from these big names, as well as the incredible cast, is there as well. There is a lot going on in the show, but somehow it blends seamlessly together to create cohesive storylines and keep the audience's interest.

The show's main focus is on Ritchie Finestra. Founder of record label American Century, we see his relationships with his partners begin to disintegrate as they try to negotiate selling the label while Ritchie goes off the rails. Flashbacks help us to understand how Ritchie got to this point in his life and career, including his relationship with his wife and mistakes he has made in the past. 



My favourite part of the show (apart from the amazing soundtrack) is the characters. There are so many brilliant characters that you're never disappointed at the episode's main storyline, it's exciting to see events from different character's point of view, and it leaves you wanting more. There's Jamie, a motivated sandwich girl who is trying to work her way up to the A & R department, Zak, one of the partners who is affected the most by Ritchie's mistakes, and Clark, who gets demoted due to budget cuts and has to learn to become more of a go-getter. One of the most interesting characters is Ritchie's wife Devon, who is now a mother of two with no particular ambitions of her own, but we see via flashbacks that she was once a talented it-girl with potential to do great things. 


Weaved within the fictional characters and tales of murder, drug overdoes and record deals, are your favourite artists and celebrities from the seventies, such as David Bowie, Andy Warhol, Elvis and Alice Cooper. With an awesome soundtrack to match, of course. 



Tip: Get into it now, so you can say that you were on the bandwagon first, before everyone else jumps on board. 

Status: Eagerly awaiting news of season 2.

Update 07.10.16: I just found out that Vinyl has been cancelled, so no season 2. This is a massive disappointment, I think this was a great show with a lot of potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Watching and Reading In Isolation - Part 1

So, most of us are stuck inside for the majority of the time at the moment (thanks pandemic!). I'm not going to lie, it hasn't changed my life a great deal. I work from home, and I do not like going out at the best of times. I would much rather be at home reading a book or watching TV than going out shopping or something. I do miss catching up with friends in person (we now communicate mostly via memes), going out for dinner (I can't wait to go out for dumplings, because they're just not the same when you get them delivered), and seeing live theatre and comedy shows. But mostly, I am enjoying living my best sloth life. And I'm ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge for the first time ever. My husband and I have also completed two whole puzzles, so we are absolutely winning at life. So, I thought I would share what I have been watching and reading, because then I can claim it was research. Yes, it is all writing research, very important. Can I claim Netflix as...

Review: 13 Reasons Why

The way people were talking about 13 Reasons Why all over the internet, I felt like I had to watch it. I saw the first episode and I knew I had to watch it. Hooking you in from the very beginning, 13 Reasons Why will make you want to call in sick to work just so you can binge-watch all the episodes. The series follows Clay Jensen, a high school student who has received a set of tapes from his classmate and friend, Hannah Baker. Hannah recently committed suicide, and on the tapes are the 13 reasons why. Each reason is a person Hannah knew, someone that hurt her in some way, and they each get their own tape. Hannah's plan for the tapes is for each person to hear them and pass them on to the next person. When they arrive on Clay's doorstep he struggles with his emotions as he listens to each tape. He feels the need to confront each person when he hears their tape, to question them, to make sense of it all, to try and make things right somehow. 13 Reasons Why is so captiv...

Review: Queer Eye (the revival!)

I'm not much of a reality show fan, usually only using it as inspiration for sarcastic and witty observational tweets, with some exceptions of course. Queer Eye is definitely one of those exceptions. Having watched the original series all those years ago, I thought I knew what I was in for when I tuned in to the new Netflix revival, after seeing people raving about it on Twitter. A group of trendy gay guys swoop in and change a clueless straight guy's life with a haircut and a new outfit, fun is had, tears are shed. Well I don't know how well I remember the last series, but the new one is so much more than I expected. It has all the fun of your typical makeover/renovation/cooking show, but with a little extra thrown in as well. Of course, all of your usual reality shows have the 'make or break' moment, when the camera pans in to the contestant, on the verge of tears, as they tell the story of how they beat the odds and triumphed over adversity just to be in t...